I know. SO many blog posts about the spoon tree, but not one explanation of what I did to make it or what art skill I was improving. Obviously, the main skill I used was artists communicate because that was the main goal of the project. I also used a lot of risk taking. When we decided to make a tree out of spoons, I wasn't sure how we were going to get the spoons to work. I knew we would somehow have to attach them together to form a tree-ish shape, but that proved to be harder than we thought. We used a PVC pipe as the trunk, painted it brown, and glued clear spoons to it because after experimenting with spoons for a while it would be almost impossible to make a base entirely out of spoons that was sturdy enough to support the entire weight of the top half of the tree. For the branches, we ended up gluing the spoons to each other to make something that resembled a palm tree. We didn't know if the spoons would melt under the heat of the hot glue, which was another risk we took after we already painted all the spoons. The hot glue did nothing bad to the spoons (especially compared to the heat gun we used to destroy it later on). The spoon tree was a fun project, especially because we got to use materials that we don't normally get to build with in art class. I think my group and I took a fair amount of risks and most of them worked out in the end.